Contact us at (505) 933-5265 or
What is the significance of the medical information in relation to the legal issues?
Attorneys often tell us they have piles of medical records (electronic and/or hand-written) on their desks and no idea of where to begin. Some of these attorneys end up going through the complex and confusing medical records themselves. This can be a very slow and painful process.
- What do the physicians ‘scribbled notes, shorthand, healthcare jargon, or abbreviations mean?
- What are the important details?
- How do the lab values relate to a dire medical situation?
- What is the biology, physiology, kinetics of the human body?
- What is not normal?
Oftentimes, the task of making sense of the medical records and their significance is given to the Paralegals, who have also told us that they don’t like to do this work and find it overwhelming to be responsible for understanding what they are reading and locating the medical information that will make or support the legal case for the Attorneys.
It is not only reading and understanding the medical records, it is about being able to identify, perhaps, the one detail, that will make the case, settle the case for a high value, or win the verdict. It may be about organizing numerous specifics into a concise, cohesive, and persuasive narrative that the jury can relate.
Medical Record Analysis
- Screen medical cases for merit
- Identify causation issues and identify contributing factors.
- Assess damages and injuries
- Analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the case
- Identify, locate, review, summarize, and interpret relevant medical records, hospital Policies & Procedures, Standards of Care, other documents, and tangible items
- Identify adherences to and deviations from the Policies & Procedures and Standards of Care
- Identify missing medical records
- Identify issues of tampering with the medical records
- Identify and recommend potential negligent defendants
- Organize, tab, and paginate medical records for easy reference
- Prepare chronologies of the medical events involved in a case, with live links to source records
- Write reports for the attorney’s case preparation, with chronological medical events timeline, that are consistent with the complexity and value of the case
Nationwide Record Retrieval
- 100% digital records
- Optical Character Recognition (OCR) searchable text
- Customized Bates Stamping
- Affidavits/Certifications of Records
- Dedicated Account Managers
- Real-time order status
- Rushed requests
- Prepaid Provider Fees
- Document Repository
- Research and summarize authoritative medical and nursing literature and integrate search results into the case analysis
- Analyze the validity of research studies relied on by all parties
- Help in developing life care plans
- Update and recommend additions to the attorney’s medical library
- Interview plaintiff and defense clients, key witnesses, and experts
- Consult with healthcare providers
- Attend and report on independent medical examinations (IMEs)
- Meet with other consultants and service providers on the attorney’s behalf
Expert Testimony and Witness Preparation
- Identify types of testifying experts needed for the case
- Locate and communicate with appropriate expert witnesses for deposition and trial
- Analyze potential experts’ reports and other work products
- Help prepare witnesses and experts for deposition and trial
Discovery and Court Preparation
- Prepare questions for deposition or trial examination (direct or cross)
- Prepare interrogatories and requests for production
- Review and draft responses to various legal documents and correspondence for the attorney’s signature
- Analyze and summarize depositions and past testimony
- Assist with exhibit preparation and other demonstrative evidence
- Attend courtroom proceedings when relevant
- Coordinate and assist with facilitating focus groups and mock trials
- Assist in resolution of cases through alternative dispute resolution, such as arbitration and mediation
Independent Medical Examinations (IMEs/DMEs)
- Attend, report, and testify